Thursday 5 July 2012

Tonight's the night...

So tonight is the "official" first step on our adoption road - we're going to the open evening. The introduction evening. The beginning of our lives being scrutinized by officials to see if we're deemed fit to be parents. It looks like it's mostly going to be talks by people from the adoption team, as well as some adoptive parents. And then at the end we fill out the information form to say we're interested in doing the preparation course.

It really is a long-winded process. We've already been screened once to see if we're able to come to the evening to see if we might be interested in being put forward. Now that's thorough. But I'm excited, and I want everything to work, even if it does take a while.

When we first got in touch with the adoption team at the local council. we were contacted by one of their workers who gave us a reading list of books to look at. We've managed to get a couple from the library and I might see if I can't snaffle a few cheap copies off amazon.co.uk at some point. BUT, in the meantime I'm working my way through Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes A Baby's Brain. It seems to be pretty child psych oriented but I'm literally only a few pages in - I have to sit and wait for 2 hours while my car is serviced later so I'm sure I'll have the chance to look at a good chunk of it then.

And so it begins...

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just came across your blog on the Open Adoption Bloggers list! I, too, am 30 years old (don't know how that happened, lol) and live with my hubby and our cat! We are also in the beginning of the process of being approved for adoption! Hope to read more of your story as it continues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!! Thanks for commenting, I've just updated with another post. I'll make sure I keep myself updated on your blog too - am going to go and check it out now :)

      xx

      Delete